Crimes Against Humanity
This advisory report examines the International Law Commission’s draft articles on crimes against humanity. In it, the CAVV considers the following topics:
- How the ILC’s draft articles aim to fill a gap in international law, particularly with regard to the legal framework for State cooperation on investigating and prosecuting international crimes.
- The relationship between the draft articles and the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, and the initiative towards a multilateral treaty for mutual legal assistance and extradition for international crimes (MLA initiative), which the Netherlands supports.
- The prevention provisions in the draft articles.
- The issue of a monitoring mechanism.
- Statutory limitations for victims of crimes against humanity in civil proceedings.